Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Break

Phil and I were finally able to celebrate spring break. For the past few months, he has been spending every spare minute studying for his qualifying exams. Basically, he has two chances to pass this test which covers theory and methods of sociology and if he doesn't pass, then he must leave the program. This exam lasts eight hours, so you can imagine how much work goes into this. He ended up taking it the day before spring break (and later found out that he passed!) so we decided to take a small vacation to celebrate. For a few days, we went down to Jackson, MS and toured around and even visited a 120 year old carousel that is still operational. A few days later we went to Memphis, TN and visited their zoo and the temple.
A few days after that, my parents made it down to see Scot for the first time. We really enjoyed having them here and I think Scot started to memorize her songs by the time she left! In addition to enjoying some good southern barbecue, we also got a chance to see the eagles' nest in our local refuge which has 3 eaglets that are only a couple months old.
Lastly, just last Saturday, Phil and I ran a 5K. Phil nearly died, seeing as he hasn't even worked out in the past month or so. I was sore in my back the next day, probably because I have been training pushing a stroller. We were fortunate enough to have someone hold Scot during the race so I could use my arms. It made the run easier, but I couldn't believe how many muscles are involved with just pumping your arms!

2 comments:

Van and Heidi said...

Brooke,
Your blog is WAY cute.
Your family pictures are great. I'm telling you, I love that hair cut of yours.
Heidi

emily b. said...

Love the pics! And it is so fun to hear an update! I'm so excited to hear more. Miss you!